Friday, June 12, 2009

Sunset Days in Navarre



The month of June started with a blast! William and I went over to see my Grannymart and Aunt Babs in Navarre for the afternoon and dinner on Thursday (6/4) and then went back with Philip on Saturday afternoon for the night. We had a blast! Grannymart and Babs are sisters and it's so much fun being with them. This was the first trip for Grannymart since Granddaddy passed away. I know it was hard hard hard for her to actually leave Dothan, but I know (and could see) it was good for her and what she needed for some refreshing pick-me-up time.

Thursday afternoon as soon as we pulled in the drive way and were getting out of the car, she was in the doorway waving to us. William went right to her with a big hug as soon as we got inside. Just so priceless!! She laughed and giggled with him and followed him around playing with all of "his toys" (aka kitchen gadgets/utensils in Aunt Babs' kitchen). William would dance a bit and she would clap for him and he'd laugh and start over. Aunt Babs was having fun with him too. She loves to walk around with him as he checks out her house while looking for her cat. William now likes to wave at her cat and say "hey cat", but ever so cautiously stays back. (smart boy). We played outside for a while with William and got some cute pictures together before heading on into Navarre Beach for dinner. Of course we went to my favorite place in Navarre...Sailor's Grill. I just love that place! I loved it as a little girl and have so much fun every time I go. William was the perfect dinner date! He ate so well and just hung out in his chair and talked to folks around us. Grannymart was so impressed with him and kept saying how wonderful he was (which made my heart swell). Babs and Grannymart decided to get Philip a loaf of his favorite treat from Sailor's Grill and send it home...their famous Sourdough bread! After dinner we drove down the coast drive checking out the new houses along the way. Babs used to live on the beach in the most beautiful beach home ever. She moved a while back off the beach after several of the hurricanes caused so much damage. I love her house now...it sits on the bay and is simply breathtaking. It was bittersweet seeing the new changes to her house...I loved the flashbacks of the house and remembering all the wonderful summer memories of visiting her growing up through the years, but was a bit sad facing the not so familiar look of the house. Oh well...change is good, right? We drove them back home and let William play for a little while longer before heading on home.

It was a great visit!




Saturday morning we decided that since we didn't make it up to the lake we would drive back over to Navarre to take Grannymart and Babs out to eat at another local favorite....Gators. It's such a unique little hole-in-the wall place up on Hwy 87 just above Navarre. It's quite possibly Babs' favorite place. I remember going there so much as a little girl and while loving the place being TOTALLY TERRIFIED of an alligator coming up out of the lake and finding just me to eat!!! The place sits on a beautiful lake and is so peaceful and quaint. The food is yummy, but is all fried...can you say no diet that night! We all loved the cheese grits, especially William. He gobbled up most of my grits. We passed on dessert and headed on back home to get WPJ settled for the night. He was ready for bath and more playtime :) I let him play a bit before taking him on up to bed. I love sitting in the little room rocking him in my greatgrandmother's recliner/rocker. Babs has her house decorated so beautifully and warm and welcoming. I just love her home. William finally fell asleep and I eased on back down to visit. We ended our night together playing the domino game "chicken foot". It's such a hoot and fun to play. I thought I would pull every stomach muscle laughing at their precious comments trying to understand the game while we taught them to play. Grannymart was the cutest when she would try to "coach" us about part of the "chicken's foot bone" not being used or looking like the other parts. If you've never played, it's hard to explain, but trust me...it was hilarious!! All in all...we had a great time!


Thanks for a wonderful short visit! Thanks for loving William and enjoying him so much! Thanks for opening your home to us. Hope you enjoy the pictures!

3 comments:

Papa said...

William is going to think most people live next to the water. He is growing up in the most ideal environment surrounded by family and lots of love. Who enjoyed the fried food more??

Mimi said...

Isn't it nice to have great childhood memories..That is what you and Philip are providing for WPJ. Grannie Mart looks good and being around William she looked very happy. You will have to teach us the Chicken game. Sounds like you had alot of fun. Love all the pictures too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren!! :O) Can you believe HOW LONG it's been since I 'commented' on your blog?! I returned home from our 2 week 'Family Trip' 10 days ago...& I'm just ~fully~ getting back into the swing of things! :O) ...No wonder you Love ...Navarre... what a beautiful place...& being with your Grannymart & Aunt Babs...precious, & priceless...an admirable, & Godly, characteristic to MAKE TIME for those you LOVE!!!!
...Beautiful pics of WPJ with his Loved Ones...& love the ones you captured of him smelling the flowers... Love you!!


William 2 years old

William 2 years old

William loves swinging on our front porch. 15 months old

I love this picture...he's looking up at his daddy