Friday, March 6, 2009

Strep Throat and Pink Eye

The past few days have been quite rough! I started feeling cruddy late Tuesday night but chalked it up to allergies. Wednesday was not so hot...felt awful, hurt to swallow and a very irritated eye, but still thought maybe just allergies b/c I had no fever. Thursday morning I woke up with a completely crusted over eye and could barely talk my throat hurt so bad. Basically it felt like I had swallowed about 10,000 razor blades and someone lit a torch in my throat! Off to the doctor I went, with William non the less. He was sweet, for the most part. My appointment was at 8 and we got there on time. I was not called back until about 8:40, which is torture trying to entertain a toddler in an adult waiting room. They do have a small pediatric waiting area with a t.v. for kids...so thankful for Dora and Diego by this point! So we finally get back to the little room. While the nurse takes my blood pressure, checks my heart rate, etc..William sits in my lap. He looks over and notices a picture of some football players and immediately throws his arms up and announces "TOUCHDOWN". The nurse had to stop and laugh! She couldn't believe he could associate the two. After the AWFUL throat swab (with nothing to drink to soothe my soar throat, we wait another 30 mins. William was going stir crazy by this point! He had walked all over the room, climbed on the chairs, colored on the white paper, balled the paper into a ball to throw, danced with mommy, you name it, we tried it! He began having a meltdown and just as I was ready to leave and say I'm done, I open the door in the doctor's face! We both are surprised and embarrassed. He apologized several times and talked to William briefly to calm him down....by this point, I'm hurting so bad I'm almost in tears! So, a quick check over and a confirm from the strep culture (the fast version) I'm told I have STREP THROAT AND PINK EYE!!! I've only had pink eye one other time in my life (first year teaching) and I can't tell you the last time I had strep throat!!! Dr. John tells me about the meds I'll need to take and asks me if I want a shot. Now most of you know how TERRIFIED of needles and shots I am...I cry at the tiniest prick and usually have to hold someone's hand. I'm a wimp when it comes to this. No matter how hard I try, I get light-headed. FUNNY WHAT BEING A MOMMY DOES TO YOU!! Before the question was out of his mouth I moaned YES. I need to get better fast and I know the shot is the fastest way. He laughs at me and says the nurse will be in briefly. I have a peptalk with myself while waiting. The nurse comes in. I sit William up on the bench table thing, bend over and try to smile at him. The nurse starts to tell me "here's the prick". William peeks around and look at her with a frown, looks up at me as if to say "I'm sorry Mommy". He rubs my cheek with his little chubby hand and leans in to give me a hug. My precious little boy is comforting me and I feel totally blessed! Turns out having William there with me was just what I needed!
So after checking out and heading to pick up my meds at Publix (making sure William gets a cookie for helping mommy) we finally get home. About 9:45ish William is out like a light for a nap. I crawl into bed myself. I take a long nap and finally wake up. William slept until almost 2!!!!!!! How wonderful for me! I was able to just stay in bed and rest. Philip came home around 3 for the day. He told me to stay in bed and he took William down to the beach to play. They went to the grocery store to pick up dinner and then came back home. He gave me about 2 hours of peace and quiet. I just love my husband! I was missing William, so I asked if I could see him. William crawled right up in my lap and cuddled for a while with me. (Don't worry, I was very cautious not to let my face get too close) Philip cooked dinner, kept William downstairs for a while, fed William, gave him his bath, dressed him in pjs and then handed him over to me to get him to bed (my favorite part of the day).
I'm feeling okay this morning, but still cruddy. My throat still hurts. I had a severe migraine in the middle of the night, but it's better now. I'm just going to take it easy today and try to get better.

I'm posting some of my favorite moments from last week to cheer myself up (and to catch you up on William) since this post was all about me being sick. Hope you enjoy the pictures!




As you can tell William loves to snuggle with his animals and blankets!

Too Sweet

Coloring with Daddy

Coloring with Mommy

Moving on to painting...so much fun!

Going outside during the freezing weekend to swing

(This was the day it snowed in Alabama)

We were all bundled up snug and warm. His little hat is just too cute!

I love this picture! Look at his face! Notice Drake in the background...

I made a pot of homemade vegetable soup...this is what he thought of it....

He ate it all...the cutest was when he would taste a butter bean. He would take it out, hold it up to me and say "butter bean", then back in his mouth it went!

He kept saying "more, more"! Perfect way to end a cold day!

Hopefully I'll feel up to posting again tomorrow. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Feel better soon Lauren! Mommy's cannot be out of it for long! Tis' the season! My girls both have some crud right now as well. Have a good weekend and get some rest.
Cute pics of that baby boy!

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow!!! Lauren went thru the mill and still found time to be a mommy. Philip it was really great what you did to give Lauren some rest. William is getting bigger and more alert to his surroundings and happenings. His speech is outstanding. Well we hope you are feeling better Lauren, ya'll take care.

Jen said...

Hope you feel better soon! Love you! Miss you!


William 2 years old

William 2 years old

William loves swinging on our front porch. 15 months old

I love this picture...he's looking up at his daddy