Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Our Weekend at the Lake

We had such a great and wonderful weekend up at the lake! The weather was so-so, but that didn't stop the fun...and hard work! We picked up my little brother brother on Friday afternoon and went on up to the lake house. Philip grilled drumettes and I made some cream corn for dinner. Delicious!! We enjoyed a quiet Friday night after getting William and Holden to bed. Saturday morning started early...for some reason they both forgot about sleeping in at the lake :) Philip got up and headed out to do some yard work before it started to rain (lucky for us Saturday was no rain day) Holden and I went for a walk and had a great time talking. He wanted to pick up every stick and see how far he could "launch" it and then see how fast he could run from point a to point b. William loved watching his uncle and wanted to get out of the stroller with him! I sent Holden down to help Philip gather sticks and pine cones to start a fire (to clear away the huge piles of trees/limbs on the waterfront) and I stayed up at the house with William for his nap...I actually took a long nap myself and I so needed it!!

Uncle Holden and William

William wanted to eat some Mac-n-cheese b/c Holden was eating it...too cute

Later that afternoon I had to take Holden back to Dothan for the RA Pinewood Derby Race at church. I left Philip at the house to enjoy the quiet afternoon and so he could watch Auburn basketball. Holden's little car did great, but didn't win. We had a great time at the race and enjoyed watching all the little cars zoom down the speedway. Poppi came up to the church to sit with me and watch Holden's car race...actually I think he came just to see William :) He helped me with William so much! William was not all that into sitting and watching...more like up and running all over the gym! A few times Poppi would walk with him around the gym and was so patient as William walked back and forth. Holden even took a turn and wanted to walk with William so he could introduce his nephew to his friends. William loved walking with Uncle Holden! He didn't want to come back to me...but caved when I pulled out his cookie! I was very proud of Holden because he showed great sportsmanship while his car raced. He found his friend how beat him out on one of the races and gave him a high five....Like I said...he's just growing up so fast...but there are moments when he's still all boy and all 8 year old! Gotta love him!


Poppi, William and Holden at the Race

My little brother, Holden

We arrived back at the lake just in time for dinner on Saturday night. William went to bed quite well that night from all our adventures of the day. We enjoyed playing the game "Guesstures" with Holden. It's just like charades, but has the little countdown clicker that pulls the words down after X amount of seconds. Holden did fantastic and Philip was hilarious!! We just sat around the kitchen floor and had a blast together.

Sunday morning was about like Saturday morning...early rising children. They did not get the concept that I wanted to sleep in!!!!!! After breakfast, Philip headed back to his yard work and Holden and I went for another long walk. It was so muggy and I was so ready to take a shower as soon as we got back to the house! I did take William down to the water to see Philip's progress and let William play in the sand. It was fun and will be fun after Philip finishes all the clearing on the beach! You can tell from the pictures how much he accomplished in just 2 days! I'm so proud of him! He was so motivated to get it done. Holden enjoyed throwing sticks for Drake into the water and gathering sticks and pine cones for Philip. He found every reason to accidentally get in the water...all boy I tell you!

Heading out for our walk

Uncle Holden and William

I just loved this expression!


William and Daddy by the soon to be fire pile...

It did start raining around lunch and we had to head inside. Hunter and Whitney came up for the afternoon. We played another round of Guesstures with them and just hung out together inside while it rained. Funny thing about rain...when you think it clears up and you can go back out and you get all the way down to the dock...it pours...HARD! So we all were soaked to the bone and had to change clothes. William loved the rain and wanted to go back outside. Whitney entertained him for me so I could clean the house and pack up. She was a lot of help on a rainy afternoon.

Walking in the rain...barefoot, mind you!

This was one of Hunter's old outfits... just had to include it!

Uncle Hunter, Uncle Holden and William

We did get to stop by and visit with my grandparents for a short while before leaving Dothan. They were very surprised to see us! She had baked some cookies for Joanna and her boys (who were arriving in late that night) and she happily shared some with William. He gobbled them up and ran back to the counter and started saying "more, more, pease, pease" We all just laughed and laughed! My little boy is totally a cookie monster! He LOVES LOVES LOVES cookies! Chocolate chip are his favorite...he doesn't like icing or sprinkles though.

Grannymart, Lauren and William

Granddaddy, Lauren and William
I'm so glad we were able to spend the weekend up at the lake and enjoy Holden. He is so dear to me and I do miss him a lot. We are 18 and half years apart. He is so much fun to watch with William. William just loves following him around and trying to do whatever Holden does. I'm also thankful Philip was able to get so much work done in the yard out by the water. It looked awful b/c of the previous clearing and all the sticks/trees/vines just left piled high. I thought it was snake heaven and wanted it cleared. He worked and worked and worked. It was a great stress relief for him. Thanks Philip!!! I love you!


The pile before...


and after...clear beach with only a little left to do!!
Hope you enjoy the pictures! Have a great week!

I'll post tomorrow about little baby Scott and my Mom coming down to spend a few days with me to help out (I'm still under the weather). I'll also post some St. Patrick's Day stories and pictures too!

I included this cute video of Holden feeding William mac and cheese! So much fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a nice weekend at the lake. Holden and William are so cute together. William is very lucky to have an uncle like Holden. Its like having an older brother. Philip did alot of work down at the beach and I know he is glad its done and feels good about it.
We hope you feel better soon but it sure is nice having Mama around.:) Tell Maggie I love the picture of WPJ that her friend painted. It looks so much like our little boy.
Love to all,

Mimi and Papa

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren! :O)
Uncle Holden feeding William is precious...even blowing to cool the mac & cheez...I know you were blessed having time with 3 men you love!!!!
Nancy Bruce


William 2 years old

William 2 years old

William loves swinging on our front porch. 15 months old

I love this picture...he's looking up at his daddy