Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Christmas Visit in Dothan

A few days before Christmas William and I headed up to Dothan to visit my family for Christmas. I wanted to spend some time with my grandparents before Christmas and so off we went! William was soooo excited while we drove up. He and I sang Christmas songs and laughed all the way up.
(to make this video, I held the camera up backwards and just hoped for the best...
I DID NOT take my eyes off the road!!)
Once we arrived at my parents, he went directly to their tree and just oohhed and ahhhed at the lights and ornaments. My parents love decorating their house at Christmas time. It always looks so festive and brings back memories of childhood Christmas moments. I was tickled to snap a few pictures of William in front of my parents tree. We just hung out around the house enjoying the time together. I even made homemade cookies with my little brother...something I've done with him year after year! It's a special Christmas tradition. Holden is growing up so fast, that I cherish these moments with my little brother. Before I know it, he'll be "too old and too cool" for his sister (for a little while)
One night we loaded up in the suburban and drove around town checking out the Christmas decorations around town. William was so excited about all the lights and decorations in everyone's yards. Daddy made it so much fun! He'd get real excited and make a big deal about all the sights. William would say "Wook, Granddaddy, see the lights" until he finally crashed in the car. Daddy just laughed and said "works every time!"
I enjoyed going over to my grandparents houses to visit and let William give them the "big surprise" (details to come) as well as give them their Christmas gifts. This was fun! William helped them open the presents...he really loves pulling the paper off the gifts. Both Poppi and Grannymart were tickled. They were all smiles and soaked up the moments with William. Both of them had a jar of cookies, which somehow William found :) It was very sweet to watch him ask for a cookie and then once they gave it to him, hear him say "thank you" I love watching my child with family. I think it is so special that he gets to have a relationship with his great-grandparents. He adores them, and all our family for that matter. His little heart is just so full of love.




Hunter wasn't going to get to come down this year to see us on Christmas, so I had his gifts ready for him. I mentioned before that at Thanksgiving he really took an interest in the family traditions of cooking, so this Christmas, I started him a recipe collection of some of my favorite family recipes. William was so excited to help Hunter open his presents. I hope Hunter will cherish the handwritten recipes and will add to the collection over the years. Who knows, maybe one day, some of those cards could end up back in William's hands...
Well, it was a very quick trip to Dothan, but full of love! I was very blessed I was able to zip up there to see everyone before Christmas. My parents and little brother would be coming down to our house Christmas afternoon, but I wouldn't get to see my grandparents or Hunter, so I'm glad we went. The best part, only a few more days until our big announcement!! We wanted all our family to hear the "news" in person first, before telling the world :)....

No comments:


William 2 years old

William 2 years old

William loves swinging on our front porch. 15 months old

I love this picture...he's looking up at his daddy