During the service for Granddaddy a man (Lucky Martin) shared a truly wonderful and moving story about how Granddaddy impacted his life. I would like to share it with you now.
Lucky is around my dad's age (I think). Let me start with stating he is a black man. This should not matter, expect for his comment on how Granddaddy treated him as a young school age boy. Lucky started his story with explaining how his dad was a sharecropper and could only buy coveralls for him growing up. Admitting he was embarrassed with his clothes and how much he admired the clothes in Granddaddy's store (Green's Clothing) he and his buddy would occasionally visit the store just to dream of owning some nice clothes. One afternoon in late middle school, he and this friend went into the store late in the afternoon. His friend suggested they steal something from Granddaddy because they wanted to have some of the nice items. Lucky said on that afternoon, Granddaddy walked over to them and said "Welcome, how are you boys doing today?" This is the comment I mentioned about him being a black child. Lucky said he was in complete disbelief as to why this white gentleman was being so friendly and welcoming to a black boy. He said Granddaddy's warm smile and friendly gesture stung him in his heart. His friend proceeded to shove a few cuff links and a few other small things into his jacket, Lucky said Granddaddy could tell what they were doing and he casually turned his back, walked to the back of the store and said "See you boys later, Have a good day." Lucky shared that this played over and over in his mind for the next few weeks. He couldn't shake the kindness away. Meanwhile, Lucky decided he was too embarrassed to stay in school b/c of the clothes he had to wear. He dropped out of school on a Monday. The next day, he went to visit Granddaddy's store (during school hours) to which Granddaddy greeted him with "Son, it's a school day, why aren't' you in school?" Lucky told him he had dropped out and that school wasn't for him anymore. Lucky said Granddaddy asked why and when he told him it was because he was too embarrassed...Granddaddy sat him down and said "School is important and you will finish. What do you need...a few shirts, some pants, how about shoes?" Lucky said he could not believe this man...was he really going to give me some of the nice clothes from his store? Lucky picked out 3 shirts and 3 pants and a pair of shoes. Granddaddy made him promise to finish school as his only payment. Lucky said he returned to school on Wednesday with a completely new attitude on life. He concluded his story by saying that if it had not been for Granddaddy (Mr. L.C. Green) he would would not have finished high school, gone on to college to get a B.S. and Master's in Education and would not in school now getting his Doctorate degree in Education!
Let me tell you, there was not a dry eye in the church! I heard my Grannymart say later that she never knew this story! How amazing to now know how Granddaddy impacted a young life that has gone on to teach many and achieve so much in life...all because of a kind gesture and belief in a stranger! Following Lucky's speech, Mr. Daryl Homberg (sp?) got up to sing. He is a man of few words (according to Grannymart). He shared that he had just attended another funeral of someone who had gone on to get an education from Oxford, been a pastor, authored several articles and books, and NOTHING shared at his funeral was so moving as the testimony just told. That shook me to the bone. My Granddaddy was not only a hero in my eyes, but a hero in a stranger's eyes as well. I am so thankful that God led Lucky (first to see the notice in the paper) to come to the service and to share his story with us. I will forever remember this small way Granddaddy shared his love and shared Christ with this man. I believe in random acts of kindness and know in heart that sometimes you are the only example of Christ people see. I believe in the saying "you never know who is watching and who you are impacting by your actions."
Take this story with you and know that somewhere, someone is watching you and learning from you. Know that a small kind word or a simple act of faith in someone does impact them in ways you might not ever know. I doubt if Granddaddy ever knew what became of Lucky Martin. It does not matter if he did. What matters is his gentle spirit and giving heart redirected a life of a stranger...all because he (Granddaddy) was a man after God's own heart and he treated others with respect and kindness. Thank you Granddaddy for this amazing life lesson.
Granddaddy was a WWII Veteran. His graveside service was concluded with the playing of Taps and the folding of the flag. I've heard my dad tell stories of services like this and I've seen them in movies, but never (to my knowledge) have experienced one. Let me tell you..there is something so moving watching this. The ease and steadiness as which the men move folding the flag and carrying in to the widow...When the man knelt down to hand her the flag, saluted her, and said "On behalf of a grateful nation..." MAN MAN MAN to hear the words "on behalf of a grateful nation" I was so full of pride in Granddaddy and sorrow in missing him. He loved his country dearly. He was so proud to have served his nation and then to have a son follow and serve. Granddaddy just loved life with his whole heart. He found good in people and was such an optimist. He lived a long, hard and blessed life. I can only pray to be so blessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
William 2 years old
William 2 years old
William loves swinging on our front porch. 15 months old
I love this picture...he's looking up at his daddy



9 comments:
We were blessed to be able to attend the funeral services for L.C. Green.
The entire service was very caring and full of love for your granddaddy. Lucky Martin's story brought tears to my eyes with its endorsement of the caring and generosity of L.C.Green during his lifetime. He will be missed. God bless your family and may you keep the good memories in your hearts forever.
Yes, Lauren, your granddaddy was such a wonderful, loving man. The story that Lucky told was so touching and from the heart. I know the list is long of others who were also blessed by your granddaddy. We were all blessed by knowing him. I share your pain. Knowing that he is with Jesus is very comforting. You have so many precious memories of him and your time together with him. I feel that Deke and Tammy were there to greet him when he entered Heaven. Deke and he are probably sharing lots of stories. Knowing we'll be reunited one day brings peace. How it aches to not have them here, but one scripture that helps me is "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." We love you so much, and we are so blessed to have you.
Thanks Mr. Jim and Mrs. Sharon. Your words are so kind and I thank you for being at the service. I love the scripture you shared, and claim it every day (it's one of my mom's favorites and I've grown up hearing her say it throughout everything life offers) I am so thankful for the memories with Granddaddy. You are right. We will be reunited one day in heaven. Until then, he is looking down, watching over me. Love ya
lauren
Thank you Lauren for so bravely claiming your faith and sharing this touching story. Well done, indeed, oh faithful servant, well done. I know your heart is aching. His promises are vast enough to ease that. I pray for healing and for memories sweet girl. God is working in you.
I am so sorry I couldn't be at the funeral with you. What a wonderful testimony of how we can be an example for Christ in our everyday lives. I am so proud to see the reflection of your Grandaddy in your life. You are the most sincere and loving person I know. You are always willing to help a friend or even a stranger in need. Your Grandaddy will not only live own through your memories, but in your life as you reach out to others, and in the lessons you teach William. Mr. LC and Grandma Griggs would be proud of the woman you have become. I love you and we are praying for you.
Anna
What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing with all of us.
T.Wall
Lauren, my eyes are teary from your telling of that story. Lucky had not shared the story with me or the other "Yes We Can! Dothan" executive team. But, we talk ALOT about how it only takes ONE caring person to impact a child's life! Now, I know how important it is for every child to have one caring adult in their life. That is just one reason why we are trying to get our whole community involved in our schools...to provide one caring adult for every child.
I am so sorry I missed Lucky's story about your grandfather, since I was only able to make the visitation. What a wonderful man he was! And, how he touched lives.
Your family has been in our thoughts and prayers.
Lauren, I have been meaning to write to you and let you know you and your family have been in my prayers. I am so sorry for your loss, but as I know you know, he is in a much better place. I hope y'all had a good Easter and hope to see y'all soon!
Hi Lauren!! :O) I'm sitting here at Grumps & Gram's computer (We helped polish off your leftovers earlier! :O) ) cause I couldn't get my 'comment' off to you from mine!! :O/ ...Anyway... :O) I wanted to tell you how wonderful it was being with you & Philip yesterday...and...meeting your wonderful son!!!! :O) What a JOY!!!! As you & I had talked about yesterday, I wanted to reread your journaling... :O)
Got my prints back from Costco today of the pics I took with you guys yesterday, & was real pleased with them! :O) Love to you & Philip & William!! I hope we'll get to see you again soon!!!! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!!
Post a Comment